Chris,

I stupidly forgot to do what I always tell others to do; include version
numbers etc.

I use Excel 14.2.2 under MacOS 10.6.8

That version of Excel, with the appropriate preference set, happily offers to
AutoComplete data I'm entering in a cell as long as there is another cell
somewhere in the sheet that has the same starting character sequence.

I therefore suggest you update to the current version 14.2.2 and then keep your
fingers crossed.

Regards,

Ray Forma
Mob +61 (0) 428 596938