On 07/07/2012, at 1:05 PM, pat wrote:

> My Mac is sick again. Hope someone can help.
>
> The patient: Mac Pro, 4 years old (the first 64 bit model), 3 hard
> disks, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8.
>
> The symptoms: It was working OK last night when I closed it down.
> This morning, when booted, the Finder repeatedly quits every few
> seconds (very obvious because the screensaver keeps changing). Up in
> the top left-hand corner some of the usual icons on the Finder menu
> bar are semi-visible but non-functional. Otherwise, a blank screen.
>
> What I have done so far:
> 1.  Rebuilt the directories with DiskWarrior. Problem not fixed.
>
> 2. Ran TechTool Deluxe. No change.
>
> 3. Put the Snow Leopard disk in and verified and repaired all 3
> disks, repaired permissions. Disk Utility says all the disks appear
> to be OK.  Problem still exists.
>
> I can't think of anything else to do other than ask for advice.  Will
> be most grateful.
>
> Pat

There are two "standard" troubleshooting steps you haven't mentioned:

1. Create a new non-administrator "test" account and log into that (remembering
to turn off automatic login if you have that turned on). See if the problem
persists.

2. Boot into "Safe" mode by holding down the shift key during startup until the
little circular progress icon disappears. Again, see if the problem persists.

If the problem disappears following wither of these steps, the issue has to do
with something that's most likely restricted to your user account. If not, a
full backup and re-install of your system is probably in order. The steps you
have taken so far can only address problems with your hard drive (which you
have now ruled out, so your time has not been wasted), not with software
issues.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948