Hi, I have just upgraded my iMac from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion following
strictly Ronnie's Installing Lion OS X 10.8 instructions. Everything seemed to
work fine, apart from iPhoto which when opened gave the notice that it needed
to check for updates which it did briefly, then the message window: "The photo
library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto", appeared. I
clicked - Upgrade.

The the window: "iPhoto is unable to open this library" appeared with the
message:- "you have opened this photo library with a newer version of iPhoto.
Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto".  One option - Quit.

As per the guidelines I had run the software update and the version of iPhoto I
have is 9.3.2. (I think 9.3.2 is the latest version of iPhoto, so I don't know
how to use any later version).

I ran Aperture and that opened and ran upgraded and updated okay. I  did an
upgrade to 10.8 on my MBP and that worked fine and the iPhoto library on that
worked without any problems.

As I had issues with iPhoto before and didn't what to look a complete DH, I
thought I might see if it was possible to fix the problem so I tried a Full
Recovery as that seemed to work for others who had the same problem,
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4148170?start=0&tstart=0 (derrick9990) and
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I then did the repair permissions, Software update (all up to date), and tried
again, but was presented with the same messages.

Oh, I have a complete, Super Duper bootable backup of the HD, this time around.

Any ideas as to how to repair it, would be gratefully received.

Matt.