Hello all,

The HP 5520 can be configured for wireless printing through the home network or
wireless direct printing from an iPad or iPhone (and both at the same time)
even if there is no wireless network to connect to. The HP ePrint app must be
installed on the iDevice and the HP printer has to be selected on the WiFi page
in the settings menu of the iDevice and it works completely wirelessly.
Also, during initial setup the printer can obtain its own email address and
when connected to the net it can be used as a printer by someone
who is at a remote location - providing the printer is turned on. (One can send
h/day snaps home directly to the printer)

The HP 5520 also has bonjour support for AirPrint from Apple devices.
It works well as I have used it for a week now.

Cheers,
Walter

On 20.05.2013, at 16:14, F.W. Hänel wrote:

> [...]
>> referring to the new technology "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Direct".
>>
>> Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct™ is a certification mark for devices supporting
>> a game-changing new technology enabling Wi-Fi devices to connect directly,
>> making it simple and convenient to do things like print, share, synch and
>> display.
>>
>> Products bearing the Wi-Fi Direct certification mark can connect to one
>> another without joining a traditional home, office or hotspot network.
>>

>> <http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-and-learn/wi-fi-direct>
>>
>> "Wi-Fi Direct":
>>
>> Some home wireless networks are set up in ad hoc mode by which WiFi-enabled
>> computers communicate directly with each other without the aid of a wireless
>> router. The trouble with ad hoc wireless networks is that many devices such
>> as printers, scanners, gaming consoles, set-top boxes, and smartphones,
>> although WiFi-enabled, cannot accept direct connections from other WiFi
>> devices without an access point to facilitate the communication.
>>
>> "Wi-Fi Direct" aims to change that. The technology embeds a software access
>> point into a device so that it can support direct connections. When a Wi-Fi
>> device enters the range of a "Wi-Fi Direct" device, it can connect to it in
>> an ad hoc, direct manner. The technology even supports WPA2 encryption for
>> secure communication.
>>
>> If you're adding a device to your home network, look and see if it sports a
>> "WiFi Direct certification" mark. That will give you a nice option to
>> directly connect to the device without a wireless router or access point.
>>
>> "Printing with Wi-Fi Direct:
>> A new technology called Wi-Fi Direct should greatly simplify the printer
>> setup process, and let you print directly from an iPhone to a Wi-Fi printer,
>> either via AirPrint or using a print app. At this point, relatively few
>> printers support Wi-Fi Direct, but we expect it to have a great impact on
>> mobile printing in the years to come."
>>
>> <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412775,00.asp>
>>
>> A bit of checking and many new Epson printers can set up "Wi-Fi Direct".
>> Need to use the Epson iPrint app to control printing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>
>> On 20/05/2013, at 8:04 AM, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Walter,
>>>
>>> AirPrint Basics:
>>> The AirPrint-enabled printer must be connected to the same home Wi-Fi
>>> network as the iOS device.
>>> This is the default configuration in most home Wi-Fi networks.
>>>
>>> You also need an AirPrint-enabled printer listed in this article.
>>>

>>> Printers not listed in this article are not supported by AirPrint.
>>>
>>> <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356>
>>>
>>> Summary
>>> In iOS, AirPrint-enabled applications can print to an AirPrint-enabled
>>> printer—and you don't need to install a driver or configure the printer
>>> queue. Tap print, select a AirPrint-enabled printer, and print. It's that