Hi Ronni,

That item is already disabled.
My Time Capsule and my old wired modem had both been playing up recently.
So I replaced both of them with a Telstra WiFi Modem.
So I plugged in this spare HD and switched Time Machine to it.
I just can't figure why it un-mounts randomly like this ?

I have the very latest OX on the latest i7 iMac.

On 15/08/2013, at 6:44 PM, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> What OS X are you running? Is the WD external connected by USB of FW?
>
> First thing to check go into the "Energy Saver" preference pane in System
> Preferences.
> Check to see if you have enabled the item: "Put Hard Disk(s) to sleep when
> possible."
> If it is enabled, DISABLE it.
> This item is enabled by default but it is inappropriate for Time Machine use,
> so it should be disabled.
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>
> On 15/08/2013, at 5:20 PM, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> About a week ago I installed a 1TB WD Portable Hard Drive to use as my Time
>> Machine.
>> It has worked fine except for one point.
>>
>> Every so often I return to my iMac after a few hours away to find a message
>> that I have unplugged the hard drive without ejecting it. I have NOT
>> unplugged it. So I then unplug it and plug it back in again in order for it
>> to re-mount.
>>
>> Has anyone any idea why this happens and perhaps how to prevent it ?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Stephen Chape

Regards,
Stephen Chape