Thank you Ronni,

Drive Model is WDBBEPOO10BBK-01
I have formatted as Mac OS Extended Journalled (not sure about GUID Partition
Table)
I also have the Energy Saver settings as you suggested.

It could be as you suggested re the very low power in sleep mode.
My step daughter has an older Mac (about 2 years old) with the same setup for
Time Machine as me.
But she has a Seagate compact USB drive.
And she does not have this issue.

I now don't put my Mac to sleep when I leave it.
I just log out instead.

However I might investigate plugging the drive into my new modem router.
It has 2 USB ports.

Regards,
Stephen Chape