Hi Stephen,

Do you receive this message after the iMac wakes from "Sleep"?
Some external drives will give this message when the computer wakes from an
extended sleep.

What model WD portable drive is it?
Have you tried other USB ports?

1.  Check first if your WD external  has a firmware upgrade available.  In some
cases, the firmware upgrade may be enough to make the disk more responsive to
the iMac waking up.

2.  If there is no firmware upgrade available, check if your power/data USB
cable is properly working.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4