From: wamug@wamug.org.au
Sent:Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:47:03 +0800
Subject:Re: Ethernet to Thunderbolt adaptor

 On 14 Sep 2014, at 8:56 pm, Peter Crisp  wrote:

 > I bought myself a Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt adaptor so my MBP
Retina can utilise ethernet for big backups and other large data
movements. Tonight I plugged it in and I thought it would auto
recognise but nothing. I checked in System Prefs under Thunderbolt and
“Not Connected” is noted for both ports. I proved the ethernet
cable is good with another older MB connected so everything up to the
plug is good. I read online about some faulty adaptors and maybe this
is the case with mine.

 > I thought I’d ask maybe there is a simple start command to set it
up and use it.

 > Any experiences anyone?

 I bought one of these with by MBP Retina in 2012, and it has never
failed me. It can sometimes take a little while to establish a
connection from cold, depending on the hardware you're connecting to,
and sometimes I have to resort the trick of renewing the DHCP lease as
described by Ronni, but I have found that it does depend on the
network. Most of the time the connection is instantaneous, but
sometimes it can take up to a minute or so. It can be a little
annoying, but as I say, I have not yet had it fail to make a
connection.

 Peter Hinchliffe Apwin Computer Services
 FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
 Perth, Western Australia
 Phone (618) 9332 6482 Mob 0403 046 948