Hi Marcus,

I have not experienced any problems with Notification Center in Sierra or iOS
10 on my Macs and iDevices. So I don't think your issue is caused by Sierra.

Have you had a good read on how to use Notification centre in Sierra?
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25142?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
macOS Sierra: Use Notification Center.

Alerts, alarms, reminders, email-chances are you see a steady stream every day.
Notification Center is Sierra's Grand Central Station for the information
competing for your attention. It's settings control which apps can post
messages to the upper-right corner of your display, as well as how those
messages look.
The Notification Center sidebar, which slides in from the right of your screen,
gives you an overview of it all.

Have you set control Notifications' look? Individual notifications appear at
the top-right of the screen. You can tweak how they appear, or whether they
appear at all, on an app-by-app basis.
Go to System Preferences > Notifications and select an app from the list at the
left. Now set up the way that app will notify you at the right. You can pick
from three Notification styles.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4