Hi Ronni,
Thanks for your advice. Yes, Sierra otherwise operates just fine.
I pretty much know how NC works as I had no issues before with El Capitan.

I wouldn’t be concerned except when NC is functioning it reveals Mail alerts
which cover the RHS of the screen and cannot be deleted. In fact if I point the
mouse any where near the alerts, the system will freeze with the spinning wheel
turning for up to 20 seconds.

I have turned all the NC alerts off  and that clears that up. As soon as I turn
Mail back on the alerts reappear and block the screen.
Then I have to restart.

I have a lot of emails in iCloud as I’m uncertain how to delete them en masse
so maybe that’s an issue

Is it possible to reset NC somehow?
Cheers

Marcus