Hi Walter,

I prefer to have my Photos & iPhoto libraries & iTunes library on my Macs and
not running them from an External Drive.
But some people do so successfully.

The absolute VERY minimum free space some say is 15%... I would NEVER recommend
any of my clients, friends or WAMUG people run their Macs at 15% available
space.
I prefer to have at the very least 25% available space on my Macs.
Macs running latest Operating systems need a lot of free space to run well and
fast.
‘Lean & Mean’ is the way to have a Mac operating at its maximum ;-)

So Walter your Mac’s HD is very close to the 15% (150GB).
The unneeded language localization files will give you probably 1-2GB extra.
I would then run WhatSize app to give you details of where the used is being
used.
It’s a good starting point.

Uninstall old applications you haven’t used & never will again, archive mail
attachments & years old mail. Make sure the Trash is empty, the Download Folder
is empty.
Only the HD and ‘One’ folder on the Desktop. ‘That One Folder’ on the Desktop
can have other folders inside it if required.
There are lots of items that need regularly cleaned up & ‘culled’.

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB