Hi Diana and all,

It would appear that NBN would be a hit & miss experience from what I have been
reading. On the other hand after many years of being with Westnet, once it was
taken over twice the service became almost intolerable for me to the point that
I went over to Telstra/Bigpond.

Although I had some initial problems with the date when the actual swap over
was to happen the swap over to Telstra was smooth and no problems to speak of.
Contrary to most people I have spoken to, my experience with talking to the
staff at the Telstra shop in Morley was less than satisfactory whereas the
Philippine call centre staff were very polite, efficient and did what they
promised to do. This is sad!

The move from ADSL2 to NBN, still with Telstra/Bigpond went so smoothly that I
could not believe it! We do have fibre to the Node which fortunately is not
very far away from my house. The NBN connection was planned for Saturday 14th
April, so on Friday evening I checked the internet speed whilst still on ADSL2
being upload at 1.49 mbs and download at 17.41 mbs. As I already have a modem
which is NBN ready Telstra told me I would have nothing to do. On Saturday
morning I checked the speed, using SpeedOf.me, to my surprise the upload speed
showed 16.1 mbps and download speed 50.13 mbs. This is spot on to the speed
Telstra told me my Connect Plus plan will provide.

Contrary to what I was expecting I did not have to do anything whatsoever with
regards to the modem settings or to my various computers, iPads and iPhone.
This is technology today!!

One small negative report was that viewing Youtube videos was quite irregular
this morning, Sunday am, but for only a short time, and since then so far right
on the dot of 50 mbs.

I am waiting for 5G network to see if their promise of very fast
upload/download speeds eventuate.

I wish you good luck Diana which whichever path to choose and as they say in
the classics ‘May the NBN be with you” ;)

Re email address, I paid Westnet to keep my email address with them for 1 year
which they did not do as they cancelled it immediately and to this day never
received a refund or apology from them. They never acknowledged my emails
requesting progress on this matter. But all this is in the past now.

Regards to all,

Philippe Chaperon

On 15 Apr 2018, at 9:21 pm, Michael Hawkins <michael.hawk...@mjhawkins.com.au>