On 6/12/08, Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 June 2008 at 23:54, Angus Lees wrote:
>  > My intention with the fmvs originally was to provide a separate 'fmv.wz'
>  > which could just be dropped into the right directory - as other's have
>  > suggested.  Look for the movie and fall back to current behaviour if not
>  > found (and when the movie ends).  Distros-and-whatever would presumably
>  > package it separately, and (when the legal situation was murky) users could
>  > choose to download/distribute it themselves.
>  >
>  > The patch I sent some time ago supported both .ogg and .rpl formats, again
>  > my intention being allowing those few people with the original game to use
>  > their .rpls (or something) and the rest of us can use .oggs.  And the code
>  > is structured to allow other formats if something better turns up.
>

> Since the reencoded movies are quite a bit smaller and can now
>  definitely be redistributed, the RPL code isn't really needed anymore, I
>  think.
>
>  For playback I'd prefer using FFMPEG to the OGG libraries directly,
>  since this will make it easier for others to make movies for mods
>  without lossy reencoding into obscure formats.

You mean launch a external program to handle this?
I am not sure this is the best way to go on all platforms, you would
also need some way to make sure each platform has ffmpeg available.

Right now, I am playing around with ogg libraries...

>  > For reference, a no-fancy-options recompression of the rpl files into ogg
>  > ends up at about this resulting size:
>  >
>  >  187M    sequences_ogg.zip
>  >  777M    sequences_rpl.zip
>  >
>  > So .ogg theora/vorbis is a pretty big saving in size.  sequences_ogg.zip
> was
>  > generated via my rpl2avi wine program with the original eidos dlls and then
>  > reencoded using ffmpeg2theora - if you're interested in the resulting file
>  > or any of the pipeline just ask.
>

> What codec was the intermediate AVI? If it was lossy, the double
>  reencoding degraded the quality/size more than necessary (i.e. with
>  direct encoding to the target format the files could be smaller or
>  of better quality (or even both)).

For my experiment into this, I just dumped out each frame, and the
sound, and then used ffmpeg to make that into a ogg/theora video.
I used a bitrate of 2400K (unsure what I should use), and the results
are pretty much what the originals look like.  The only other thing I
was trying to figure out is, that the original videos are all 320x240
or less.  The 'full screen' option renders the video every other
scanline.  If you know a good way to upscale from 320x240 without big
ugly pixelazation, I am all ears. :)