On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Per Inge Mathisen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For playback I'd prefer using FFMPEG to the OGG libraries directly,
> > since this will make it easier for others to make movies for mods
> > without lossy reencoding into obscure formats.
>
> Note that ffmpeg is not distributed by most linux distributions,
> because of many murky patent issues, and usually has to be separately
> installed by the end user. For this reason I would prefer to use the
> ogg libraries.

Right, I originally started using libavformat/libavcodec (the ffmpeg codec
libraries) but was hesitant about the burden this would mean for non-linux
ports.

Most linux distros will ship the 'free' ffmpeg codecs.  But this doesn't
include all the 'interesting' codecs, so you really only get theora (and the
simpler AVI codecs) anyway.

We also already require ogg/vorbis, so only adding a theora dependency is a
very small addition.

--
- Gus