On 9/25/08, bugs buggy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/23/08, Per Inge Mathisen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:
>>
>> One idea: How about using just one repository, but shaped like this:
>>
>> trunk/
>> branches/
>> tags/
>>
>> then a next level (example from inside trunk):
>>
>> trunk/code/
>> trunk/data/
>> trunk/originals/
>>
>> so if you wanted to download the latest of all, you would do svn up on
>> trunk, while if you wanted to just grab a new code branch, you'd do
>> svn up on trunk/code only.
>>
>> I do not see what you gain from using separate repositories, instead
>> of separate directories inside a single repository. Am I missing
>> something? I think it is a feature that with a single repository we
>> would still have one global revision ID for everything, so you could
>> say, "test revision NNN", instead of "test code revision NNN with data
>> revision MMM".
>

> What you suggest would be fine.
> I just wasn't sure if it is better (or allowed) to have one big repository
> or not.
> If we do have a size limit, it is better to find out from GNA now, rather
> than running into this later.

With the upcoming release of the FMV patch in trunk, *before* we add the
fmvs into the repo, I would like to confirm the data structure.

trunk/data  (only pumpkin official stuff, + derivatives of their work?)
trunk/code or trunk/source
trunk/FMVs  (since it is optional?)
trunk/tools  (for editors, utilities, and whatever else)
trunk/3rdparty (*If* we go this route.  Though, I rather not.)

The main reason I don't think we should have 3rd party content in the repo
is:
a) they need access to the repo in order to fix/modify/change it.
b) if we include a mod or two, we are obligated to stick all the other mods
that people make.
c) license issues.
d) we got lots of other good content that *isn't* in the repo  (lots of nice
music available on the forums), and it doesn't seem fair to include only
some stuff, and not other stuff.
e) filling up the repo without a real good reason with the extra data.

Therefore, I think it is best that we remove all 3rd party mods that we
have, and instead of the repo, stick them where they belong, like
http://download.gna.org/warzone/ or perhaps a dedicated page on the main
site.
This would even out the playing field, and not clog up the repo with extra
files.