On 3/4/09, Kamaze <fearthec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have the FMVs now for quite a while, how is the status about
>  inlcuding them in one the the next releases (2.2 Series?)?

grumble...one of these days...

>  Also, I think there is a need to polish the windows installer a little
>  bit. My opinion is, that we shouldn't deliver 3rd party mods with the
>  default installer at all. (Excepting AIvolution)

You know, I talked about this before, but we don't have a dedicated
place to put the other mods, where people can rate them.  Perhaps
Zarel, or someone else can design a site specifically for mods/maps?

>  Otherwise we might run into conflict that all people want to get their
>  mod shipped with the installer. I think that we should outsource this
>  into a dedicated application (something like a map/mod manager) which
>  should be included with the game and takes care of installing, deleting
>  and updating the installed mods and maps. This could be a stand alone
>  application (Qt for cross platform?) or maybe integrated into the game
>  later, when Betawidget is ready for use.

Is that going to be the name for the new GUI code?  'Betawidget'? ;)
Anyway, even with that code, it still is going to be a bear handling
it, and of course, we need someone to write it, and last I looked,
nobody has time to do anything like that.
One issue is with Physfs, we have *one* write directory.  And that is
the config directory.  That is it.
That means, within the program, that is the only directory where we
can modify (copy/delete) things, and then we got other issues as well.
 It would almost have to be written as a 3rd party application, or
lots more work needed to recode how we deal with all the directories
in warzone.

>  Also, is there maybe the possibility to distribute Warzone on linux on
>  our own again? The versions delivered by most distributions seem to be
>  outdated most of the time, which seems to be - at least for online play
>  - bad, or?

I dunno if it is worth it or not.
Looks like that each distro does what it wants to do, and we can't
really force a upgrade to them. :(