Dennis Schridde schrieb:
> They currently live on the Gna servers to be downloaded on-demand by the
> Windows installer.

That's what i expected.

> They will definitely be in [...]

That's all i wanted to know ;)

> [...]
> And then: Why should Aivolution be special in this regard? When does a mod
> become "official"? When the creator is also a WZ developer? Does he have to
> be
> active? What type of contributions do count as "development"? ...

Like Zarel already wrote, AIvolution is somewhat different I think. The
Stock-AI isn't that beautyful and AIvolution dosn't touch anything else.
Also is AIV right now somehting like a defacto-standard for AI
improvement in Warzone. Last but not least is it officially maintained
by us.

> should
> stick with it.

The official distribution should focus to the core game. Like in
programming, where you should split the logic from the presentation.

> Our issue is rather that there are no people developing mods, and not so much
> that we are overrun by the crowds.

Who decides which mods will be included and which not? What about the
case, that we need to remove mods due to inactivity or incompatibility?
Providing a simple listing trough a Mod-Manager or trough the Website,
where people can download the mods they want, would be a clear rule and
every mod developer would have the same premises.

The only exception I would make, are in-house game improvements, which
have an reasonable interest for every player but might be to dramatic to
replace the official game mechanics, like AIvolution or - for example -
a rebalancing mod.

However, I'm speaking about mods here, I have nothing against including
further maps in the main distribution, which have a proven acceptance.

> You wrote it? Or are at least going to do it in a reasonable timeframe?

No, but a in-game implemented mod-manager or at least update checker
shouldn't be such a big deal, as soon as Betawidget is deployed, or?
(Interface Wise)

I think that even I would be able to implement an update check and
downloading mechanism for the new mod package, using cURL.

> The one in Gentoo is quite current... ;)
> Arch is probably the same. Ubuntu crawled a bit, but that's nothing new.
> Maybe you should show some stats for the major distros, so we have some
> ground
> for discussion.

See Zarels Reply.

> The resulting build would not run on Gentoo, and
> probably not on at least one of SuSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Arch, <insert your
> distro here>.

Warsow - for example - delivers simply a zip package, containing the
game data and a win32, win64, Linux x86 and Linux x86_64 binary, and
they seem to drive well with it. But probably because their Quake engine
doesn't have that much dependencys as we have.

> This cannot really be solved by using Hip-New-System, whichever
> you will show me.

At least a simple zip- or tar.gz-Archive containing a x86 and x86_64
linux build would be a better service than forcing the users to compile
it on their own, if their distri doesn't offer an up2date build. If
there are binary-compatibility problems, we should do this at least for
the major `non-linux-expert` distributions like Ubuntu.

-- Kamaze