I think the "network incompatible" story is a red herring. People
should NEVER play with different versions of the game, period. This is
asking for trouble, unless all the changes between the two versions
are purely cosmetic or crash fixes. Since the game is based on peer to
peer algorithms, playing with different versions/features will lead to
off-sync. Most releases IIRC add some things are not pure crash fixes,
yet we do not bump the minor version number. What we should do is make
all releases network incompatible, like almost all other RTS games do
it. The minor version number should be reserved for savegame
incompatibility. The major version number should be reserved for
mod/map incompatibility.

This means, 2.2.4 should go forward, and trunk should become 2.3. IMHO.

  - Per