Abigail, I would tend to agree with you except for one fact that
I cannot ignore - since I changed the "From:" address for the
bouncing, my spam has *noticeably* decreased!  Some email addresses
that were deluged with spam only have a few coming in now.  This is
my own *real* personal experience - how can I deny that?  True, the
absolutely correct format would be [EMAIL PROTECTED],dnslive.com
where 'xxx' would be the server number, but my way *does* work!

As for the email to fraudulent addresses bouncing back, that no
longer happens - at least not with MailWasher Pro v3.1 as it checks
the address some way and if it is fraudulent, it won't send it!
If you have your error reporting turned on, you will see the messages
from MailWasher Pro saying as much!

The articles you pointed me to are obviously written for the 'free'
version and *not* the 'Pro' version.  Their points do not apply to
MailWasher Pro - it's much more intelligent than the 'free' version.
The second article actually looked like it was written by a spammer
unhappy with getting bounces! ;-)

I flag everyone I want to receive email from as "Friend" - including
everyone in lists I belong to.  Everyone else gets bounced - period. :)
I've blacklisted all common domains - entire domains - such as AOL,
Hotmail, Lycos, Yahoo, Earthlink, Netcom - just to name a few.  I
still get email from those domains from those individual addresses
I've flagged as "friend".

I always doublecheck everything that is 'blacklist' flagged before I
process the email just to make sure someone new from a 'blacklisted'
domain that I want to receive from isn't in it, and if so, I flag
them as "Friend" and no longer have to worry about accidentally
bouncing to them.  MailWasher Pro puts the 'preview' pane directly
below the header list pane, so it's a simple matter to quickly check
an email and determine if it is spam or not.  If it is - BOUNCED!

If you haven't looked at MailWasher Pro, and are still using the free
version, you might want to try the 30 day trial.  I bet if you do,
you'll upgrade long before the 30 days are up - it's THAT GOOD! :)

Cheers,
Tom

At 02:09 PM 08/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2003, 12:21:06 PM, Cyberspace Publishing commented:

CP> Before you shoot yourself in the foot with it, though, you might
CP> want to read my article "Am I Dumb Or Dumber?" posted at
CP> http://www.internet-marketing-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2344
CP> where I explain how to properly configure 'bouncing' so you don't
CP> end up increasing your spam instead of decreasing it the way I
CP> did! ;-)

Tom, you wrote some things in your article that I think are
technically incorrect.  I'm a big fan of Mailwasher, but I
disabled the supposed "bounce" feature a long time ago.  The
reason - it is not a true "bounce" and will not be
recognized by the spammers as such. But since spammers often
use forged email addresses in the "From" field, or
nonexistent return emails, it WILL increase the overall
volume of email, help to contribute to server overload in
general, and will generate even more bounce-backs to you.

You wrote:

CP> For this example, let's say your email address is
CP> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Under the third tab, where it wants
CP> an email address to put into the "From" field, instead
CP> of putting [EMAIL PROTECTED], you put
CP> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Now what happens is that the
CP> bounced email received by the spammer looks like it
CP> really did come from the mail server, and that your
CP> address really is no longer valid. They will remove the
CP> address from their list, and you should receive no
CP> further email from them.

This is not true.  It makes the Mailwasher message look like
what YOU receive when you see a bounce message, but it is
not a true bounce. A true bounce occurs at the MTA level,
when the email is rejected by Sendmail or Qmail or whatever
program is being used.  The bounce is IMMEDIATE and it also
includes appropriate RFC codes.

Spammers who purge inactive names from their lists will have
software that recognizes those server-initiated bounces, but
their software is not fooled at all by an email from
Mailwasher configured to look like a bounce.  The headers on
your Mailwasher fake bounce  will tell the true story, including
routing information.

In any case, the majority of spammers probably don't bother
cleaning their lists, and even if Spammer A removes your
email, if he has sold his list to Spammers B,C, & D, your
fake bounce will do no good.

On the other hand, as noted, it really makes things a lot
worse for your ISP. For example, read this:
http://www.asde.com/support/mailwash/mailwash.html

http://tinyurl.com/krqi
(Note - this leads to a post at the computercops.biz site -
I do not agree with the abrasive tone of the poster, but the
information in the initial posts on that page plus ensuing
discussion pretty much reflects the point I am trying to get
across)

-Abigail

L I F E T I M E W E B H O S T I N G $249 O N E T I M E 1000MB of Web Space - 6000MB Monthly xfer - 100 sub-domains 50 MySQL databases - 500 FTP accounts - 500 POP3 accounts Personal CGI-BIN Directory - Perl, PHP, CGI, Frontpage ext. Unix Shell Access (SSH) - Shopping Cart - MUCH MORE! http://www.lifetimewebhosting.com/cyberpub

Websites designed and published by Cyberspace Publishing
     193 E Main St #292, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://aznewyou.com/cyberpub/

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.