On Saturday, August 23, 2003, 4:44:56 PM, Cyberspace Publishing commented:

CP> I, too,
CP> receive spam using my domain name in the "From:" field, but I
CP> seldom receive any bounces from other domains with any of my
CP> domains in the "From:" field - except the occasional virus as
CP> I decribed in another post.

That may simply reflect the high visibility and longevity of
our site - we have email addresses that have been in use and
published since 1995, and very high Google page ranking. A
spammer who is dishonest enough to steal a domain name and
wants the email to get through is probably going to borrow
names from fairly well-recognized domains. I mean, I see a
lot that purports to come from ebay or microsoft. Big spam run
today under one of our user's aliases.

CP>  All had been sent from different
CP> IP#'s and to different addresses and subjects such as "Ilknur
CP> zehra mine uikorbt".

Yeah, that's what the spam bounces I saw today looked like.
Garbage subject line, but there was real text in the body.

CP> You may get spams with yourdomain in the
CP> "From:" field, but the same spam sent to me would have mydomain in
CP> the address of the "From: field.  At least, that has been my own
CP> experience and observation.

No, I'm not talking about spams we get, I am talking about
BOUNCES we get from spams that were sent out via open relays
(apparent in the headers) with specific addresses taken from
our domain.  We get lots & lots of these, especially from
AOL which apparently does not do any sort of reverse IP
checking.

CP> If you get a ton of bounces from a lot
CP> of different domains - all with similar messages and all with your
CP> domain in the address in the "From:" field, then you are under an
CP> attack and need to save the bounces and act on them.

There is no action to be taken -- again, the IPs ALWAYS turn
out to be open relays in Asia, often not even traceable to a
specific ISP.  This is a continuing and regular problem that
most server administrators are very well aware of, it is
extremely common -- it comes up again and again on other
mailing lists -- and it is a waste of time to do anything
other than delete them.

Again, if all the ISPs did open relay/open proxy RBL
blocking, most of this would go away.

>>CP>  It doesn't even
>>CP> bounce the messages if the address is fraudulent - it simply
>>CP> deletes it from the server so it doesn't have to be downloaded to
>>CP> one's computer.
>>

CP> MailWasher composes the body of the message, adding a couple of
CP> lines to the header of the original message, and then passes it
CP> off to either the original sender's SMTP server for 'bouncing' or
CP> to your own local SMTP server to do the 'bouncing.  If the bounce
CP> is bounced back, your SMTP server treats it appropriately and just
CP> ignores it or deletes it - it doesn't go back into your mailbox.

You don't get it: I AM the SMTP server
(administrator) -- if someone uses mailwasher to bounce back
email to anyone on our system, I am going to have to see it
and deal with it.

I don't need the headache created by this stuff. I see
enough bounce messages as it is, and I have to look at
bounces to be aware of legitimate issues with communication
to our customers and clients.

>>CP> The bounced messages look exactly like a returned mail message you
>>CP> would receive if you sent an email off to a wrong address.
>>
>>Tom, that statement is just not true.

CP> That, again, was quoted verbatum from the FAQ page at the MailWasher
CP> site.

Well, that's hype to sell a product. It doesn't make it
true. The fact is that the bounce message is a sham, and
spammers will recognize it as such because if they were even
going to bother looking at the bounce messages, they would
have plenty of legit ones from your ISP.

CP> Sure, it doesn't look *identical* to the bounce my server
CP> sends out, but neither do the bounces I get from all the other
CP> servers!  In fact, they are *all* differently formatted - some
CP> similar to what MailWasher sends while others look like they were
CP> written by a computer novice.

But all the Mailwasher ones look alike, right? I mean,
different ISP names, but always the same message.

I'm sure you could filter on the Mailwasher message the same
way I am now filtering on language the virus-bouncers have.

CP> If you collected 50 bounces from 50 different servers and one of
CP> them was from MailWasher, I doubt that you, or anyone else, that
CP> hadn't specifically researched and noted the exact format used by
CP> MailWasher, would be able to pick it out of the lineup. :)

But any spammer that cares enough to read and act on the
bounce messages HAS researched and noted the exact
format of the Mailwasher bounce. It is their business - and
what a Mailwasher bounce tells them is that the email
address they used was good, because it got delivered. So for
the unscrupulous spammers, a Mailwasher bounce is the same
as an entry on a phony unsubscribe form -- it tells them
that they got through.

If your email goes through any major ISP, then the spammers
are going to be well aware of what bounces from that ISP
look like.  I mean, I see so many legit Yahoo, AOL & MSN
bounces in my work that I could probably quote them verbatim
in my sleep.

CP> It
CP> even pointed out a fallacy in the article I wrote at the IMF
CP> forum, that I'm now going to have to retract and post a more
CP> accurate review - thanks for that! ;-)

I'd be curious as to what that fallacy was. :)

Best,

Abigail