On Friday, August 22, 2003, 10:54:04 PM, Cyberspace Publishing commented:

CP> Jon, I agree with this... *in theory*, but nearly all the spam I
CP> receive indicates that the majority of spammers don't perform
CP> "Joe Jobs".  They generally put random addresses in the "From:"
CP> field - usually either the recipients own address, or a munged
CP> address using the recipient's domain or username.

Tom, every day of the week, I receive between 20 and 200
bounce messages from spam that was sent either my address or
my company's email address -- these are usually valid
email addresses. I admit that the recent flood was due to
Sobig rather than spammers, but I have seen enough spam
hawking porn and cut-rate mortgages under our name to know
that it is often deliberate.

CP> My personal feeling is that if one aggravates a spammer to the
CP> point that the spammer uses the "poor sod's" address in 10,000 spams,
CP> it is no longer spam, but a personal attack against the "poor sod"
CP> and a personal problem of the "poor sod", who now, has grounds to go
CP> after the spammer in the legal system and collect major damages.

No, when we have had this stuff going on I have done IP
traces and found that the spammer who uses our domain name
is always using an open relay, generally one based in Asia.
In fact, based on this experience I feel that the most
effective thing you can do to stop spam is to use open relay
RBL's to completely block email -- if all the major ISP's
did this, the Joe Job's wouldn't work.

Spoofing a domain to send spam is a felony in the state of
Virginia, where our servers are located -- but there is
absolutely no way we are going to trace these spammers with
the resources we have. Even if we did, we would NOT be able
to collect "major damages" unless we could prove that our
business was damaged.  I'm sorry, but I practiced law for 20
years, and the one thing I know is that litigation is
expensive and messy, and often is bad for business as well.

CP> Another way this can happen is if the "poor sod" has an "Open
CP> Relay", or an insecure cgi script, on his domain.  In that case,
CP> he deserves the bounces - they will open his eyes in a hurry and
CP> he'll learn a valuable lesson in the experience!

No, the bounces don't go back to the IP, they go to whatever
domain is written in the reply-to field.  People who abuse
open relays SOMETIMES try to use the domain name where the
relay is to exploit possible security weaknesses, but they
often use other domain names as well.

Here's an example of the most recent attempt to use my
company's server as an open relay, taken from our logs. (We
get about 100 attempts like this daily):

<XX>Aug 23 10:21:12 sendmail[36000]: h7NGL6uL036000:
ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
relay=ACC1CEED.ipt.aol.com [172.193.206.237], reject=550
5.7.1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Relaying denied.
Proper authentication required.

The "Relaying denied" message tells you that this didn't
work. But the email being used was not ours (dyslexia.com),
but some company called globaltravel.com -- and I'd be
willing to bet that "onlineres" is a real address on their
system.  So if we did have an open relay, then some spammer
using an AOL connection would send out thousands of emails
through our site, and Globaltravel would get all the
bounces.  [You can be sure that this is not a regular AOL
connection, either - a real AOL user would have an
mx.aol.com IP assigned - this is the work of a hacker]

CP> MailWasher Pro's bounces, under normal circumstances, cannot and
CP> will not create any such problems.  It only creates problems for
CP> the few spammers that use their real addresses.

And for all of rest of us who for business reasons have
published email addresses that are likely to be exploited by
spammers.

CP>  It doesn't even
CP> bounce the messages if the address is fraudulent - it simply
CP> deletes it from the server so it doesn't have to be downloaded to
CP> one's computer.

Does it correlate the email address with the IP via reverse
DNS?  If so, you are correct that it won't bounce to
innocent victims..... on the other hand, it won't do much
good. Most of the the spammers who actually use their own
domain name with a validly configured reverse DNS are major
mass marketing firms that probably would actually
unsubscribe you on request -- perhaps Mailwasher PRO would
do better to have an automatically configured "unsubscribe"
response.  Despite rumors to the contrary, I HAVE had
excellent results with following unsubscribe routines when
the spam looks like it is emanating from a *real*, easily
identifiable source.  (Not always: it is true that sometimes
the spam increases rather than decreases, but about 9 times
out of 10 the unsubscribe request is actually honored)

CP> 2. If set to use the local SMTP server only, the system sends a bounce
CP> message through the SMTP server you specified in the account options
CP> or properties.

Tom, this is NOT a "bounce" message - no matter what it
looks like, if Mailwasher SENDS a message, it is NOT a
"bounce". A bounce is when the MTA refuses to accept the
email for delivery in the first place.

What happens when you use Mailwasher is:

spammer sends to your SMTP

spammer's MTA receives message indicating that the message
was accepted for delivery [Example, for AOL, my sendmail
logs reflect "stat=Sent (OK)"]

Sometime later, spammer receives an EMAIL generated by
Mailwasher that looks like a bounce, but isn't.  The spammer
will receive hundreds or even thousands of such bounce
messages, but unless their software is configured to
automatically remove all email addresses that bounce, they
won't do anything about it -- it's too much trouble. Most
likely, assuming that they used a legit address to send the
email, they also have their systems automatically configured
to delete all such bounce messages, in the same way that I
solved my Sobig-bounce problem this week by creating a
filter to trash all virus-related bounces. They have no
incentive whatsoever to clean their list based on bounces,
because it doesn't cost them anything to send email to bad
addresses. It doesn't inconvenience them in any way, because
no human ever sees or reads those messages.

CP> MailWasher uses an algorithm to determine the best route to send the
CP> bounced message back (from, reply to, return path) and actually sends
CP> the bounce back via your ISP's postmaster, so it looks exactly like it
CP> has come from your ISP and not from you at your address.

That's illegal, Tom.  That is, if I send an email to you
that says it comes from [EMAIL PROTECTED], I am doing
the same thing the spammers do, spoofing a domain name.

CP> The bounced messages look exactly like a returned mail message you
CP> would receive if you sent an email off to a wrong address. There is
CP> no way the spammers can tell it is not genuine.

Tom, that statement is just not true. They can tell
it's not genuine by the headers and routing info. They can
tell it's not genuine by their own server logs. They can
tell it's not genuine in the SAME WAY that a recipient of
spam can tell when the spam has been forged. What makes you
think that Mailwasher has the ability to create a better
forgery than the spammers can with their own software?

If you want, I'll send you an email that you can bounce with
Mailwasher, and then I'll show you the difference between
what your bounce looks like and what a genuine bounce looks
like.

-Abigail