On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 9:08:02 AM, Cyberspace Publishing commented:

CP> The "scum of the earth" spammer doing this is also obviously
CP> spoofing the IP#'s somehow, as every one of the spams have different
CP> originating IP#'s in the headers included with the bounced email.
CP> They appear to be originating from all over the globe!

Tom, this is a common practice, and the spammer is using
open relays. So yes, the spam IS coming from all over the
globe, wherever a spammer can find an insecure mail server
and exploit it.

This sort of practice could be stopped immediately if
all ISPs blocked emails coming from open relays.  Half of
the email coming into my system is this open-relay spam -
and I am blocking on average 800+ emails simply through one
rbl service. (I currently use two rbl services, but may add
a third that I am testing).

If it is any consolation, most ISP's now do use such
blocking, and more are doing doing this, which should cut
down on this problem over time. These scum need to use the
open relays because their practices are illegal in many
jurisdictions, so they don't want to be traced -- so they
protect themselves by borrowing someone else's IP or
computer.

-Abigail