Cheryl D. Wise wrote:
I find this discussion interesting. I do not consider myself a programmer
because I do not like to write programs. I can and do write code though
given a choice I'd rather use something already written or give that part of
a project to someone who likes to write code.
I took one programming class back in 1975 using "basic". Then didn't touch
it again until I started writing HTML back in 93-94. Even then it wasn't
"programming" but "formatting" using HTML.

Yes, an interesting discussion.

Cheryl, you may not consider yourself a programmer but you have the foundation. After that comes the tinkering stage, where you modify someone else's code to fix bugs or just make it do something different. That's where you are now. You know you're a programmer when you look at someone else's code and say "That's crap, I can do better." And then you do it.

Bj, to push myself along the OO path with PHP I've started working with code from an open source, online game. It's not OO and it's buggy. The original and current developers know it needs a rewrite and they want to do it as OO. I figure working on a large project, with other people and without the time pressure of work for a client would be a good way to get past the OO barrier in PHP. However, I may have picked the wrong group of developers. Most are too busy to contribute much and the one fellow that is producing code is new to OO and doesn't do it very well (but how do I politely let him know that I don't like his code). Anyway maybe you can find a similar project. Email me offlist if you think this game might be of interest.

Joseph, so how does this help you? We've all had years of experience fixing our own code and the code of others, and we are still learning. I wonder if it would have been best for you to have searched the various code respositories for an application, for example hotscripts.com. If I understand correctly, you don't really need to learn PHP, you just need an application that works for your particular project. The scripts online, versus those from a book, have the advantage of being tested online. If you limit yourself to recent releases there are fewer problems.

Sheila

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.