> Joseph, so how does this help you? We've all had years of experience
> fixing our own code and the code of others, and we are still learning. I
> wonder if it would have been best for you to have searched the various
> code respositories for an application, for example hotscripts.com. If I
> understand correctly, you don't really need to learn PHP, you just need
> an application that works for your particular project. The scripts
> online, versus those from a book, have the advantage of being tested
> online. If you limit yourself to recent releases there are fewer problems.
>
> Sheila

Sheila,

The answer is this is very interesting to me too.    Your (all of you)
years of experience shine through, as I have been trying to say.   What you
are not seeing from my angle is the quality of the teaching that  this list
offers, and the depth of knowledge which is here.   Though there is some
truth in the idea that a script from a good source would probably meet my
needs, there are two caveats.

Or three.   First how would I recognise such a script?

Second, if I took such a script and used it would I have the faintest idea
how to deal with anything that went wrong?   And by that I mean even
understanding what the problem was.

Third, without any understanding of the code I would have no concept of its
possibilities, or the possibilities it opened up.   Nor of its limitations.

The web is changing in many ways all the time.   As with most digitally
based matters there is a rapid 'democratising' as it becomes easier and
easier to achieve various tasks.   Gates and Windows, for all the possible
criticisms, show this quite dramatically.     The development of one more
accessible code after another underlines this too.   PHP makes for an easy
entry to coding - at least in comparison to the Cs and a few others that
strike me dumb.

While it has taken me much longer than I hoped, I have now a basic awareness
(I hesitate to say understanding) of how PHP is written and what kind of
thing it can do.   It is possible that fighting this book has made me do
this quicker than might have been the case!   I have just been looking at
another 'sign-up' code and see that it approaches it with different
variables as in '5 ways of doing anything in php'.

While I don't really want to write my own code, I do want to fit codes
together to achieve a plan or two that I have for my site;  and I have to
get the site going along those (hopefully, paying) lines before I will be in
a position to employ those who really know how to do all the expert things
so I can write poetry!

Meanwhile, if you don't mind me tagging along and tugging at your coat tails
from time to time, I am pleased to find myself in such sompany.   And I
still think there is a case for a joint book and site written by members of
this list (you didn't think I'd miss a chance to mention it, did you?).

Had I been allowed to do radar when I did National Service in the RAF (that
dates me!) I might well have diverted into electronics and be sporting a
list like the one Bj revealed.   But they put me in statistics and I never
looked forward.  ;-)

Joseph