Hi Deb
Sure shouldn't be causing problems with your RAM. Usually the first things I try after pulling out some of my hair, is to do a Virus Scan and Ad-Aware scan.

Also, the error message popping up with nothing open could be from spyware, virus, or just an MS tantrum.

When was the last time you cleaned up your registry? I know when I delete a lot of programs, I have to clean the registry out.

It seems I had this same problem and I'm running Win XP Pro. I believe it turned out to be spyware of some kind. When I run ad-aware, it will catch weird stuff in my registry.

Sure wish I had a better 'for sure' fix, but this is all I've got.
hth

Jan

PBC Web Design wrote:

Hi,

I've checked out the Microsoft site on this and cannot find the specific
same numbers as their one or two listings that are similar to this
one.  I'm receiving memory errors suddenly over the past few
weeks.  Wondering if someone knows a web site I might check out to find
some answers to this.  These are the errors:

upd18494.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

I click on OK but nothing seems to terminate.

At that time I had Eudora, DWMX Studio 2004, WS_FTP Pro, Fireworks Studio
2004 and IE6 open.

I've had problems with IE6:

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close.

With that comes that "send" "don't send" option - I never send it in.

Sometimes the memory error msg pops up when the puter is sitting idle
w/nothing open.

Another one of the numbers is: "0x77f580c9" rather than the one
above.  Another number is "0x775b32d"

I went to the MS site and have turned off "file and printer sharing" as
according to one of their knowledge base posts this might be the
issue.  That didn't cure me.

I'm thinking I need to find an error fix specifically for the numbers I'm
experiencing messages on but I have no clue where to look other than the MS
site and they don't have those numbers listed in their knowledge
base.  I've even done a search on just the error numbers and got nothing
for results.

I have 512megs of ram so being out of memory is a stretch for me - seems
like 512megs of memory should be enough.  It's a 2.8ghz machine so I'm
thinking should be powerful enough to run my stuff.  The fact that this
error will pop up with nothing is open leads me to think it's not a program
issue.

Any thoughts or places to go to look for answers would be appreciated.  I'm
keeping notes every time this happens.  Since I turned off the file &
printer sharing the messages don't seem to come as often but I'm not
positive as yet.  I run XP Home edition.

Thanks!
Deb
www.puterbug.com

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.