-----Original Message-----
From: PBC Web Design To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wdvltalk] OT memory error messages

Hi,

I've checked out the Microsoft site on this and cannot find the specific
same numbers as their one or two listings that are similar to this
one.  I'm receiving memory errors suddenly over the past few
weeks.  Wondering if someone knows a web site I might check out to find
some answers to this.  These are the errors:

upd18494.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

I click on OK but nothing seems to terminate.

At that time I had Eudora, DWMX Studio 2004, WS_FTP Pro, Fireworks Studio
2004 and IE6 open.

I've had problems with IE6:

IE has encountered a problem and needs to close.
!
Deb
www.puterbug.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Those numbers are memory locations. They have nothing to do with the
problem. This seems to be a problem with how windows handles IE6 when IE6 is
patched. That means it is not peculiar to IE. I get it now and then when
using Opera.

This application error occurs with lots of programs from Outlook98,PDF and
the msxml3.o xml parser (which is in ie6). There are also some issues with
winxp sp2 and divx on some hardware arrangements.

And just to make it interesting, udp.exe is the uninstall program. There are
virii which use udp.exe so a scan and a spyware scan would be good as well.

Mostly the error seems to mean "this application and another one don't get
along".

The usual answer as to what to do is: 1. send the dump to ms and hope they
can figure it out and that you will be told; 2. live with until it gets bad,
then 3. try something like this:

Rebuild IE

"Start > Run and type in: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL , hit enter, click OK and
reboot. Next,
go to IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Reset Web Settings and click apply"

Reinstall IE

"Start > Run and type in:
REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL , hit enter, click OK and reboot. Next,
go to IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Reset Web Settings and click apply"

Then
"Go to Start > Run and type in: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall 132 C:\windows\inf\ie.inf
and hit "Enter". Make sure you hit enter where it says enter and not OK on
the run window

Then open IE > Tools > Options > Program tab, and click on "Reset Web
Settings" and click "Apply".

Note: This assumes XP is installed on your "C' partition. If XP is
installed on a partition other than "C", use the correct partition
letter when performing this reinstall of IE".

Try the rebuild before the reinstall

No idea if it actually works, I'm living with it since it is rare. Last time
it became common, I upgraded Opera. That did fix it for some time.

drew