The security center recognized my eTrust Armor which includes Zone Alarm as
the firewall portion.

Unless you are running an Intel Prescott CPU I'm with MOU (Ross) about
installing it. The only application that really breaks (and I've got most of
them on the list that would be of concern to members of this ist) is Norton
Anti Virus 2003. 2004 is fine but if you have 2003 you must run Live Update
before you update to SP 2 or it will break and Symantec, last I heard, had
chosen not to make the patch available as a separate download outside of
Live Update. Live update is the part of Norton 2003 that breaks.

Other than that, it is just a matter of configuring the Firewall and IE to
let the applications you want to run work. Personally I still prefer Zone
Alarm to the improved Windows Firewall because of the more granular ability
to choose exactly what program is allowed access were so I disabled the
Windows Firewall. (Running multiple firewalls and even multiple AV programs
can cause all sorts of problems.)

I ran several beta builds and both release candidates before SP 2 went Gold.
I don't use Norton AV (or any Symantec program for that matter) and the only
problem I had was with the latest version of Zone Alarm. Many people not
running SP 2 have lots of problems with the latest version of Zone Alarm so
rolling back to a less problem prone version was the better option there
anyway.

Before I switched from an Acer c300 tablet to a Toshiba m205 tablet I used
IE 6 as my primary browser and only opened Firefox, Mozilla, Opera for
checking. I'd still prefer to do that since 75-85% of my visitors run it but
the Toshiba has a screen resolution of 1400x1050 on a 12.1" screen and with
so many sites being in 10-11px fonts I simply can't read them and because
the font sizes are fixed in px even the large fonts setting I have on the
Toshiba doesn't help. So I use Foxfire for all of those sorts of sites.

Microsoft announced a month or two ago that they were resuming work on IE in
areas other than just security so hopefully we'll see an update to fix some
of its failings as a browser sometime in the relatively near future as well.

Cheryl D. Wise
Certified Professional Web Developer
MS-MVP-FrontPage
www.wiserways.com