Any ideas on how to fix this or on what she should do?

Basic advice Riva is tell her not to buy a Dell!

Not sure what the custom PC market is like outside of the UK but over here you can buy good quality machines without paying the premiums you do for branded PCs and support from manufacturers who, in my experience, mess you about with so much junk and unnecessary pre-installed apps you literally have to strip them bare to get them to work.

So I'd return the machine for a full refund as non-functional and go to my local friendly PC supplier and get one from there.

Oh, and Will, *cough* overpriced *cough* at least Windows gives vaguely helpful error messages *cough*

Although my new Mantra is a happy visual place - "Mac the Planet!"

MOU

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com