From: "Peter MacGregor"
We've heard the Chairman of the Revenue resigned
yesterday - but what about the idiot that did this in the first place?

Has he or she been fired? None of the news
bulletins I've heard have mentioned this.

I know that in the Civil Service you don't
usually get fired for incompetence - just moved
to another department to repeat your stupidity in
some other way and eventually draw an indexed
linked pension at the taxpayers expense - but
surely this is so serious that a termination of
employment with no hope of reinstatement in
government employment EVER is the only way we -
the public - can be assured it really is being
taken seriously? In Private Enterprise I doubt
the Unions would even attempt to mount a case for
wrongful dismissal in such an instance as there
really is no defence - the individual apparently
blatantly ignored procedures with devastating results.

Another thought going through my mind -
apparently the National Audit Office asked this
person for the data. Was any check made that it
really was the NAO asking? Or was it some con
artist that has now got away with the biggest
data con in history so far? And what of TNT? They
apparently transported this - what have they to say for themselves?

Peter MacGregor

Peter,

Good rant...   But...

If my ears and eyes got it right the blame lies with friend Gordon and Alisatair 'Look What I Found Under the Rock' Darling, a.k.a. 'It's Your Money I'm After'. ['Course Newsnight ain't what it was, but 'Stuffit' Paxman was in full flow ;-)]

A. The professor who is chief advisor on IT to the Goverment said in front of the financial secretary to the treasury 'It was a disaster waiting to happen' because of the continuing accretion of data and inadequate security. And he named three reports brushed aside by Gordon and his puppet Alistair '25 billion - Now You See it, Now You Won't' Darling. I assume this honest man will be found with aspirin spread about in his local wood.

B. The fact that it is still not clear how this disaster happened means there is no proper procedure for accessing or copying this information.

C. To cut everyone's costs but those of MPs our friend Gordon allowed his big mate Rupert 'the bear that hugs all to himself' to have the contract to transport items round governemnt. And presumably with no special system for sensitive matter.

D. There is no one to sack among civil servants since it is fairly obvious that the data was acquired to order and the TNT staff involved were waiting to receive a marked package and all the individuals involved in perpetrating the deed are either sunning themselves in Marbella, or rotting in the foundations of a recently started building!

E. Every Brit with children should already have changed their bank accounts, even if with the same bank.

Oh! And just to put the cherry on the icing of the compôte of this particular disaster, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury seemed unable to comprehend why this might make people a little bit wary about another massive database for identity cards.

Bring Back the Romans!

Joseph