At 02:17 PM 9/16/2010 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM, P.J. Eby <<mailto:p...@telecommunity.com>p...@telecommunity.com> wrote: * Clarifying the encoding of environ values (locale+surrogateescape vs. latin1, TBD)

locale+surrageescape would be insanity! CGI will just require some configuration with respect to the environment. Anyway, I suspect CGI only really works because: (a) people using CGI are sticking to ASCII, (b) they've fixed stuff up in their apps, (c) they just produce garbage and no one cares.

Ok.

There are some simple errata, most of which I believe web3 covers (in addition to other things it covers).

I think everyone is on board with:

  status, headers, app_iter = app(environ)

Web3 proposed a different order, but it seems clear from the thread that people prefer the more natural order, and web3 authors don't particularly object.

My comments were about releasing a WSGI 1.0 update for Python 3, not making changes to web3. The current free-for-all (and the 3.2 stdlib need) have convinced me to stop arguing for throwing out WSGI 1 on Python 3.

Or, to put it another way: splitting the spec into two 100% incompatible versions is a bad idea for Python 3 adoption. With a WSGI 1 addendum, we should be able to make it possible to put the same apps and middleware on 2 and 3 with just a decorator wrapping them. (i.e., people should be able to write libraries that run on both 2 and 3, which is probably critical to adoption).

I just wish I'd come to these conclusions much sooner... like a year or two ago. :-(