T3 is at a high level of abstraction:  it is a configurable application;  it
as a way to rapidly prototype (right from the app itself), once you know
web2py idioms.  Since you can define web2py actions and modify data models
directly in the T3 app, you will want some familiarity with web2py (and T2).
 An example of the kinds of abstractions that T3 provides (already solves
for you):  basic wiki, with commenting and attachments - application level
stuff.
T3 makes assumptions for you which you might like more control over... move
down a level of abstraction for that control...

T2 is a set of components.   They make certain web2py common behaviors
easier.  It gives you more control than T3, and is quicker to write in than
web2py (since a lot of common patterns are already done).   You can tailor a
lot of T2 behaviors if you understand web2py, and what T2 is doing on top of
that.  Often, most / all of a behavior (controller) you want is already done
in T2.  You can add to it easily.  The base functionality is already there.
 This is (intended to be) nice.  T2 provides (for example) login()
functionality, and defines a default user table for you.  See T2 doc for
more.

MASSIMO:  B.t.w. - are you going to add a doc directory to T3, with T2 and
T3 documentation? (The current T2 pdf:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mdipierro/t2/main/download/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]/t2.pdf-20080922043548-uj1qtzubnbxj3dm6-26/t2.pdf?file_id=docs-20080922043548-uj1qtzubnbxj3dm6-8)

Basic web2py is easy.  You want to get a simple web site and web application
up.  You want to learn how to make persistent data portable with it.  After
you've done a few things, you will find that T2 does enough for you that it
is useful.  You'll also know enough about web2py to understand what T2 is
doing, and when and how to have more control when you want it (down at the
web2py level).  Once you're oriented to T2, doing development, prototyping
with T3 will (also) be useful to you.

Hope this is a helpful description, and removes some of the confusion.