OK, thanks for clarifying. So, when you asked the
question<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/lwdZ5vEMGdM/8WYviZxIWfAJ>about
using HTML5 "data-" attributes, you were asking about how they would
be supported in web3py, not how they are currently supported in web2py,
correct? I think Massimo was answering for web2py.

Anyway, there's nothing stopping us from making a change in web2py as well.
Maintaining backward compatibility doesn't prevent additions to the API --
we just can't change any old behavior (i.e., old code should continue to
work the same).

Anthony