I also would like to see Celery, Solr, Elastic Search and other fantastic
tools working with web2py!

I think this is an important issue and I am sure it is completely easy and
possible to make it.

I personally do not like to use the built-in scheduler, so I am using
python-rq (Redis Queue) for some production sites and it works very well
and offer almost all celery functionalities.

Maybe someone can follow my python-rq[1] example and create a wen2py-celery
tutorial

[1]http://rochacbruno.com.br/web2py-and-redis-queue/

I dont think web2py needs to always reinvent the wheel so I would like to
see more integrations.

wish list:

Whoosh (WIP)
Solr (maybe a haystack clone for web2py)
ElasticSearch
Celery
Thumbor
Neo4J