What I want to know is what do you think celery buys you that the built-in
scheduler does not provide?

Celery is faster at transferring messages from the application t the
workers and vice versa but normally when you want to run background tasks
you have different bottle-necks: computation cycles of background tasks and
database access from the tasks. In this respect I do not see celery being
any better than the built-in scheduler. Actually the built-in scheduler
makes your life easier by exposing the web2py environment to workers which
is something celery would not be able to do.