Also, come to think of it, it seems extremely bizarre to me, that this
community is not receptive to the ORM concept, and here is why:
Web2py is already doing some radically-unorthodox things, architecturally,
sometimes paying heavy-prices for it, all in order to gain more conciseness
of code - compared to many other frameworks. So much so, in fact, that it
historically have been a very tough sell for the python community at large,
to accept the web2py-way of doing things - sometimes to the extreme of
catching fire from people in the python community, not
merely criticizing web2py but downright scorning it's developers.
So, it is hard for me to imagine web2py developers as
these heavily-orthodox bulk-heads - it just wouldn't add up...

But perhaps I have it the other-way around - perhaps an ORM IS the
orthodox-way of doing things, and the DAL is the unorthodox way...