Hi,

> present project (webgis field). So probably you'll see me very active
good that you wrote about your area.

Below you can see some posts/threads and links regarding the current
web2py GIS/mapping capabilities.
-> Fran & I have successfuly operated openlayers but still have
problems fetching external data like KML or GeoRSS
-> google-maps was integrated in the pycon site

General capabilites are there.
If you read the post below you can see that there are two schools:
Integrate other tools under the hood of the framework (current web2py
and turbogears) or build comple sptial prcessing capabilities in teh
framework (geodjango).

To my opinion, a _web_ framework should focus on web presentation and
rely on special tools that are made by professionals on their field
for other tasks.
E.g. GRASS GIS can run on a server and is high level. There are
examples how to use it.
Further processing is provided by other tools like gispython, mapfish
etc.
This community is well focused on delivering efficient webapp
programming.
Others have excellent GIS support.

Please post your ideas.

Regards,
Timmie

###
Links:
https://launchpad.net/web2py-geo

Posts:
* web2py team & Geo/GIS project created at Launchpad:
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/87d1b119fc2dec99/1f4c3f9a1098fd11
* javascript proxy issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/c59e315074bb1ed/5e2215ff5bdd9636
* using web2py for Geo / GIS stuff: