On Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:12:38 AM UTC-5, step wrote:

> I agree, the book should say that. Let me add that users don't have
> control over messages that originate in the gluon code, so they can't be
> explicit about them. They will *always* risk messages changing in their
> app.

I think most if not all messages generated in gluon code are customizable
via the API as well as translatable. If you are aware of messages that are
not, please point them out.

> I like the general design of web2py's translation code. The issue is more
> in the way it can get used. When gluon devs write messages in English, they
> seed the temptation for future devs to change the message text, thus
> breaking existing localizations. The only way around this would be to avoid
> plain English altogether and write messages as symbols, say M01, M02, and
> so on, with no discernible link between the symbol and its meaning.

I'd say it would be a lot easier if there was some discernible link between
the symbol and its meaning (much like auth.messages).

It's a compromize, I think the devs had better spend their time on
> improving/extending web2py's functionality.

Feel free to help. ;-)

Note, web2py already comes with translations of many of the built-in
messages in a number of languages. With this change, we should have updated
those language files as well. If any users translate additional messages or
make translations into new languages, they should submit them so everyone
can benefit.

Anthony