I think we are talking about the same messages. When you wrote that
"[gluon] messages are customizable via the API and translatable" I thought
you were describing something more than the process of grabbing all T(x)s
in gluon code and entering a translation for each x in file
languages/<language-code>.py.

Incidentally, a script that extracts all such T()s from gluon files and
builds a catalog of what needs to be translated would be quite useful. One
shortcoming of the current translation process is that <language-code>.py
files don't include the whole message catalog. Instead the message catalog
grows dynamically as the various T()s in the code are executed. So there's
no way to know a priori what translations are missing other than searching
the gluon code for all T()s.