Something very strange is going on. After I've run the Welcome test where
the results are consistently fast (ie, ~1.6 seconds), if I wait an hour or
so and run the test again, I get something like the following:

Begin...
Elapsed time: 97.1873888969
Percentage fill: 41.9664268585
Begin...
Elapsed time: 1.63321781158
Percentage fill: 41.9664268585
Begin...
Elapsed time: 13.2418119907
Percentage fill: 41.9664268585
Begin...
Elapsed time: 1.62313604355
Percentage fill: 41.9664268585
Begin...
Elapsed time: 13.3058979511
Percentage fill: 41.9664268585

The first run is ENORMOUSLY slow. Subsequently, the runtimes alternate
between fast and slow (ie, 1.6 seconds vs 13 seconds).

To reiterate:  This happens if I give the server lots of time before I
resume testing. Please note that nothing much else is happening on the
server; it gets very little traffic.

If I restart Apache, then I get back to the initial situation where the
results are consistently fast. *This pattern is repeatable*.

FYI, I'm using "processes=2" and "threads=1".