processes=1 and threads=30 also seems to solve the performance problem.

BTW, I'm having a dickens of a time reproducing the problem in my servers
(either the actual server or the VM). I have not been able to discover how
to reset the state of my tests, so I have to blindly go around trying to
reproduce the problem. I thought it might be a caching problem in the
browser, but clearing the browser cache doesn't seem to reset the state.
Restarting Apache doesn't always reset the state, either. Restarting the
browser doesn't reset the state. In desperation, I've even tried rebooting
the systems. Nada.

This is very frustrating. I shall have to continue my investigation before
coming to a definitive conclusion.