Never stop asking me to post anything Anthony!

format='%(invoice_number)s -  %(company)s - %(status)s - %(date)s')

changed to

format='%(invoice_number)s -  %(company)s - %(status)s - %(issue_date)s')

problem sorted!

I must have looked at that table a dozen times and had, at least
temporarily, moved on to other things, I never saw that until I had to
'expose' the code by posting it and forced me to check it again but perhaps
more carefully!

Very happy it's sorted and I'm not in the least surprised it's my own error
as web2py seems extremely robust!

Thanks for not losing interest in the issue!

Peter