I could make "asset" function the default for the "showcase" controller
however I am not sure how as I am already using renamed
routes.patterns.example.py in the root of the website (multiple apps) to
rewrite one URL (works nicely):

routes_out = (
    ('/stock/default/index','/stock'),# <== my addition
    # do not reroute admin unless you want to disable it
    ('/admin/$anything', BASE + '/admin/$anything'),
    # do not reroute appadmin unless you want to disable it
    ('/$app/appadmin/$anything', BASE + '/$app/appadmin/$anything'),
    # do not reroute static files
    ('/$app/static/$anything', BASE + '/$app/static/$anything'),
    # do other stuff
    (r'.*http://otherdomain\.com.* /app/ctr(?P<any>.*)', r'\g<any>'),
    (r'/app(?P<any>.*)', r'\g<any>'),
    # restore the BASE prefix