I removed routes_in and routes_out. The routes.py file in the site's root
looks like so:

routers = dict(
    # base router
    BASE=dict(
        default_application='init',
    ),
    stock=dict(
        default_function='index',
        functions=dict(
            default=['index','call','download','user',],
            showcase=['index',]
            )
        ),
)

During development I launch the stock app from the administrative interface
and the address bar shows:
https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock
<https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock/showcase/asset/2017-Some-fridge?id=79&_signature=c2e7899530c858f1b478cb7ea5f03bb30d4f68e1>
/default
During its running one  menu item STOCK (it serves as home button,
beginning of listing) is visible, rendered by code:

response.menu_stock = [(T('Stock'), False, URL('stock','default','index'),
[])
]
 upon clicking on it the address bar also shows:
https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock
<https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock/showcase/asset/2017-Some-fridge?id=79&_signature=c2e7899530c858f1b478cb7ea5f03bb30d4f68e1>
/default

I have two more apps in this site:

INIT- which is sort of like a facade for the website when you type the
domain name in the browser it starts.
I launch STOCK app from within INIT with the same menu construct as above.
The browser also shows 'default'.

NOTES- which are instructions to myself and my customer.

I may add more apps in this project down the road.

Curious, when I launch the app through address bar by typing:
https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock
<https://192.168.1.25:8000/stock/showcase/asset/2017-Some-fridge?id=79&_signature=c2e7899530c858f1b478cb7ea5f03bb30d4f68e1>
the app starts and the address bar remains unchanged.

Thanks for you time.