FYI, here is a Pythonanywhere app with routing working as expected (the app
is named "init"): https://w2ptest.pythonanywhere.com/

Below are the exact contents of the /web2py/routes.py file for the above
installation:

routers = dict(
    BASE = dict(
        default_application='init'
    ),
    init = dict(
        default_controller='default',
        default_function='index',
        functions=['call', 'download', 'index', 'user']
    )
)

Also, note that as long as you are going to use the rewrite system as
above, there is no particular reason to name your app "init". The only
reason to use "init" is if you are not using the rewrite system and want a
default application when accessing a URL with the domain name only.

Anthony