Indeed, any EMR (electronic medical record) system must be HIPPA
compliant. There's no reason web2py why an online web2py
implementation shouldn't be able to achieve a level of security that
would achieve compliance. In fact, I would expect that in the long
term, an Open Source web-based EMR system based on web2py could
probably achieve a higher level of security than a mom-and-pop shop
web-based EMR system.  Also, nobody can crack an EMR that's solely
resident on a USB memory stick unless you pick that person's pocket or
break into their home.

As far as getting the doc's info into your record, there are two parts
to the answer. First, docs are willing to share part of their EMR with
the patient. Just as the patient is willing to share part of their
medical history with the docs. So ownership is distributed.

But indeed, I am suggesting a paradigm shift away from a monolithic
medical culture where the patient is a piece of meat with no ownership
of their personal data, to an individual with data ownership and
responsibility. After all, patients already have ownership of their
data. It's just that it's not in electronic form. Therefore, they have
to repeat it every time they see a new doctor.

So any EMR system based on web2py needs to have compartments: part of
the record is patient only, which is owned by the patient. Part is
doctor only, which is owned by the doctor. Part is insurance only,
which is owned by the insurance company. Etc. Different parts can be
shared between different parties, entirely dependent on the owner
allowing the sharing and the receiving party being priviledged and
certified to access such info.

The point of HIPPA is not to make it impossible for anyone to do EMR.
It's to protect the privacy of the info. For what technical reason
should a web2py based EMR system NOT be able to achieve said
compliance?