without considering US or commercial use, there is an open sourced med
records system that I believe the WHO is involved in, which I discovered
thru a world health thing I found Bill Clinton's foundation involved in -
you might want to prefer to collaborate there (as it stands to have
significant impact):  http://openmrs.org

this just serves.... I'll dig up the links, if anyone is interested.