That is not correct. EBS provides permanent storage, but even without
that, you have instance level consistency, so if you reboot your
instance, your stuff will still be there.

You also have monitoring features that make it easy to bring back a
service on an another instance. AWS is not built to avoid failures,
it's built to be able to deal with them.