I have not tried slicehost. memorywise it is on the low side but the
management interface is very intuitive. You can scale up the number of
server by moving a slider. You have to setup your own load balancer
but they have an howto. The vps are preconfigured to share a folder
(so I am told, did not check), and perform regular backups (daily,
weekly, monthly).

So far the easiest thing I ever had to setup. It was literally as easy
as click a few buttons, wget setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh and run it.