On Feb 15, 11:41 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> There are some vps services that offer 350MB ram and 20GB for the same
> price.

I'm sure you are right.  I found a $3 host the other day!  Anyhow,
those on a really tight budget will work a little harder to shoehorn
their app into GAE.

Wishlist:
The first script was really helpful.  However, perhaps you would like
to offer a couple of DB options?  If so,  I can help you setting up
Firebird 2.1 with the right version of kinterbasdb etc (for Ubuntu
8.04).  Which is actually a bigger challenge than anyone might imagine
(for me at least).

It would also be good if you could allow the option to set up web2py
in a subdir (as per the recent slice).  I'm sure a lot of people (esp.
newcomers) would like to accommodate web2py alongside something else,
if only during a transitional stage.  Therefore some assistance with
the apache set up would really help people in the right direction.
After all there are so many ready-made servers out there for LAMP,
people just expect to click a couple of times and shout eureka these
days.

I am not a very good linux admin,  so I always end up beating my head
against the wall for hours (if not days) getting my ssh, proFtp,
rsync, php (yes, still need that) etc,  to work;  but I guess that's
too individual to include?  However,  it really could eventually be
included.  I've seen those 'perfect server' scripts and they are often
very comprehensive.  That's got to be the right direction.

I think you're really onto something with the easy set-up script
coupled with a good webhost.  That together with the online book etc
will popularise the framework no end!

Regards,
--David