My 2 cents:

- The road to success for web2py is more / better doc and more /
better apps, whether private or public.
- John Heenan is correct in stating that web2py will only be
successful if, long term, there is support for its development and
enhancement by more than Massimo. I believe there is already such a
movement and that it already transcends Massimo.
- John's tone sounds cranky to me -- he may wish to moderate it if he
wants to be heard seriously.
- Also, John, just because you are unaware of contracts that are
paying money for web2py development doesn't mean that these don't
exist. In this case, it just means that you are not in the know.
- Massimo, do not worry about setting up a shell company to provide
support and protection for web2py-ers. I and other happy web2py-ers
are already executing on contracts that make them money for developing
and supporting web2py-based apps. Let the free market do its thing and
don't be concerned about providing us with a shell for protection. We
don't need it. If we're serious, we provide our own shell for
protection. At a minimum, it's called a LLC and costs less than $100
to set up.
- Web2py is already developing a brand. The key is to enable people
who are passionate about web2py to be able to carry on their work
uninterrupted. This means providing timely code updates with new
functionality, good support for bug fixes, and a vibrant forum for
sharing ideas and apps. Those who are passionate about it will extol
its virtues organically. Malicious detractors should be actively
debunked.

Energy seeks the lowest potential via the path of least resistance. If
web2py provides a much easier way to develop websites than other
methods, it will prevail. If it's only incrementally better and django
and others copy web2py, then there could be a fight and it's likely
the bigger player with most installed base will win. I think web2py
currently provides the lowest energy path to building rich, dynamic
sites. That's why I have and continue to be a big proponent of good
doc that's freely available. I think the new doc website is the single
most important thing to emerge in favor of web2py in the last year.

Yes, the word should be spread. Probably after apps have been built.
But in the mean time, if web2py is my secret weapon, then so be it.
When I can come back up for air from my web2py app development, I will
extol its virtues at Pycon or equivalent. But frankly, I have so many
things I want to do with web2py I would rather build than talk at this
time.